Make way for another Super Show

Public Forum
princess

Make way for another Super Show

Post by princess »

SHOWDOWN: Rival Operator Bringing Second Show To City
BRIAN WOOD
11/03/2009 9:34:00 AM
THERE is a battle looming for show supremacy in Bathurst.
The Australasian Showmen’s Guild has declared war on the traditional Royal Bathurst Show.

It has decided to bring what it calls a “Super Show” to town and has booked the local showground for the three-day event from May 8-10.

For the past two years the Guild has been on the outer with the show society which has opted to award the running of sideshow alley to its major opposition, Newcastle-based OFA Showstar.

In fact, the stoush between the two organisations is also a family feud between brothers Lew (Showmen’s Guild) and Les’ breakaway OFA.

It was a fired up Lew Osborne who told the Western Advocate of his grand plans for Bathurst yesterday.

“We’re going to bring the real sideshow alley back,” he said.

“The show society doesn’t want us at their show, so we’ll go it alone. We’ve had talks with the Showground Trust who hire the showground and have an agreement in principle locked in for May 8-10.

“Losing Bathurst Show our schedule has left a large void to fill. The Guild feels it’s now time it came back to Bathurst to maintain the integrity of the show circuit for its members.

“Sure, we have shows at Orange, Coonamble, Warren, Cobar, Yeoval, Wellington, Gilgandra and Warren, but they aren’t big destinations whereas Bathurst is.”

Mr Osborne said they would be bringing more than $50 million in rides to Bathurst straight from the Sydney Royal Easter Show.

“Our Super Show will be something special,” he said. “Entry will be $5 at the gate or $10 a family. You can’t beat that. There will be none of this wrist band stuff either where you pay $65 to ride over a set period of time.

“If you want to go on a ride, you just pay for it, the way it used to be.”

Mr Osborne dismissed suggestions people had stayed away from this year’s show due to the tough economic times.

“Our show circuit started in January and we’ve been to 15 or more shows and we are finding NSW is holding up great,” he said. “Bathurst can scream it’s the economy’s fault, but the fact is we believe the local show people have destroyed the basic workings of a great event.”

Richard Fraser from the Bathurst Showground Trust confirmed an agreement in principle had been struck with the Showmen’s Guild to stage the breakaway event.

“We’re waiting for the formal documents to be signed, but as far as we are concerned it’s a goer,” he said.

“The Trust’s role is to earn an income ... from commercial operations and we’re doing just that.”

AND.......

Showstar not afraid
BRIAN WOOD
11/03/2009 9:36:00 AM
MOVES to bring a Super Show to the city have not fazed the operators of sideshow alley at the past two Royal Bathurst Shows.
Daniel Osborne from OFA Showstar yesterday said the Super Show move was nothing more than sour grapes from the Australasian Showmen’s Guild at missing the contract for Bathurst.

“The most important thing residents have to remember is that the show is there for all the community,” he said.

“It’s a showcase of what the community is all about.

“The fact the Guild is calling it a Super Show is misleading. It’s actually a super carnival to put bums on the seats of their rides.”

Britt Osborne from OFA Showstar said she has no idea on how the proposed May Super Show will go.

“It costs hundreds of thousands of dollars to put on a local show such as Bathurst,” she said.

“They [Showmen’s Guild] can keep entry costs down because they have nowhere near the same overheads as the show committee does.

“However, this is not about giving Bathurst another show. It’s all about trying to teach the show society a lesson for looking elsewhere and sending them broke.”

Mrs Osborne said there was no way the Bathurst community could support both events.

“I really ask the people of Bathurst not to support this venture,” she said. “It’s being put in place to destroy the show society. Residents should stay loyal to an event that has been part and parcel of the Bathurst community for more than a hundred years.”

Bathurst Show Society president Bruce Hickey said it was not up to them to get involved in what amounted to a family feud.

“In regard to the showmen, we are entitled to employ whoever we wish to supply the amusements as to what suits us best,” he said.

“Over the past two years we felt OFA provided the best option and were given the job as our preferred supplier.”

Mr Hickey said the show society had not decided who would provide the rides in 2010.

“The committee will make that decision in due course,” he said. “However, we will probably go out to tender to get expressions of interest from both parties before deciding what’s best for Bathurst.

“We have the same policy for most of our major suppliers, be it in the dining room or the bar. We want to give everyone who may be interested the chance to show what they can offer us.”
Top Gunner14

Re: Make way for another Super Show

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Wow, this is getting sour, nice read thanks for that princess, yeh I have to agree with OFA's word's, I really don't think the Bathurst community can support the Super Show with the Royal show just happening a few weeks before hand. With both events being so close to each other, I think alot of families will skip the event because of money issues, credit crunch etc. Will be interesting to see what this pans out to with the show society's decisions in the future between this feaud. Thanks again princess

Cheers
Top Gunner14
princess

Post by princess »

As for the word feud, lets get it straight it is not between "the brothers", this is purely a Guild and independent issue.
itsfun

Post by itsfun »

The ofa show has already been and gone Hussrainbow. Try and keep up...............
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Yes Princess I know, that's what I meant, the feud between the Guild and Inderpendents. And yeh Huss, the Bathurst Royal was on the weekend just gone.
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

Last I checked I lived in VICTORIA, and I was kinda too concerned with MOOMBA!

sorrrrrrrrrrrrry
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Lol I wasn't having a go at you, I was just stating when the show was
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

lol dont worry... i was using umour!
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

I know itsfun, i've seen their gear a number of times
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Would you like a glass of Cardonaaay with your Umor huss? :lol:
creeper

Post by creeper »

Thanks for the media update Princess...but you forgot to include all the readers opinions from the Bathurst Advocate about the so-called royal show....Bathurst show a debacle, bathurst show was like a ghost town,poor show 2009, what's gone wrong with the show....the list goes on and on.....I think the community deserve better..........GO FOR IT SHOWMENS GUILD !....I HOPE YOU TAKE A HATFUL!!!.....then maybe when you have gotten a few of these Super Shows under your belt we will see some REAL SIDESHOWS AND RIDES and not be dictated to by the show societies!
...thanks for alerting me to what really is happening at OFA shows.....I will save my money for the REAL DEAL....not old worn out crap that thay call New rides.....what a Joke!!!!....thank you PRINCESS!!!!!!
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Thanks for that update creeper. Interesting but true about this years annual show. The showmen's guild will really get the community back to their super show. I think alot of residents will be delighted to see the top quality gear back that they have not seen for the past 2 years. Hopefully a good show, wish I could get up there myself.
luvrides

Post by luvrides »

Yes i agree with both creeper and Top Gunner. I think there should only be Super Shows. Forget about the agricultural shows. The Super Show at Newcastle a few years ago was fantastic and so was the Newcastle Show that OFA orgnised last year. This year it went back to the show society and it was crap again. I reckon that both guild and OFA start running their own super shows.
creeper

Post by creeper »

Make way for another Bathurst Super Show 2010!!!!....I have heard the grounds are booked and that it will be bigger and better than this years Super Show...Also, has anyone seen the Mixer of Showtime Amusements or the Buried Alive Ride???????
princess

Post by princess »

creeper wrote:Mixer of Showtime Amusements
Didn't know they had one? I presume you will enlighten us!!! :?: :?: :?: :?:
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

I think he was meant to type "or"

(the Mixer "or" Showtime Amusements or the Buried Alive Ride???????