Luna Park Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Zamperla
Administrator

Fire claims revive Luna Park horror

Post by Zamperla »

Fire claims revive Luna Park horror
Heather Crosby
31 May 2007, Daily Liberal, NSW

The raw grief of elderly Warren woman Laura Godson was palpable yesterday as she relived the horror of the Luna Park ghost train fire.
The June 9 1979 tragedy claimed the lives of her son, John, 29, and grandsons, Damien, 6 and Craig, 4. Also killed were 13-year-old Waverley College students Michael Johnson, Jonathan Billings, Richard Carroll and Seamus Rahilly.

Mrs Godson said she felt frightened and alone at the weekend when newspapers and television stations reported allegations crime figure Abe Saffron was linked to the fire.

The claim from Saffron's niece Anne Buckingham has led Mrs Godson's daughter-in-law Jennifer Poidevin to call for the reopening of a coronial inquiry into the matter.

Laura Godson said the horror of the fire "has never gone away".

She agonises over the loss of John, Damien and Craig every day and her suffering increases every year as June 9 approaches.

"These new allegations are upsetting but they may help us find out how and why the fire occurred.

"We didn't hear a word from anyone after the first coronial inquiry and the families really need to know what happened.

"People think the pain of the loss fades with time but it is always on my mind.

"John and Jenny and the boys had gone to Sydney for a holiday and were excited about visiting Luna Park and Taronga Zoo.

"John was our only son and Damien and Craig were dear little boys just beginning their lives.

"The truth about the fire needs to be told."
Jaffa23

Post by Jaffa23 »

What a tragic chain of events,,,,

I hope for the lady's sake, the truth may finally come out and she can finally get some closure on that devastating incident all those years ago.

I visited Luna Park Sydney back in the early 70s when I was 5 or 6 - I remember going on the ghost train with my Dad - my 1st trip to an amusement park....

I still remember the news in 79 when the fire occured - I felt sick, knowing I had been on the same ride not that long ago...

As it turns out - I will be visiting Luna Park Sydeny for a work conference next week - my 1st visit there in over 30 years. Hopefully, I will have time to wander, reflect at the Ghost Train memorial (I'm assuming it is still there), and daydream on some wonderful childhood memories....(and of course ride the Mouse!)

Jaffa23
princess

Post by princess »

I was wondering as I was reading your post if you were going to go on some rides, glad to hear you are.