Gladstone Show 2010

tooheyzz

Gladstone Show 2010

Post by tooheyzz »

Gladstone show day is wednesday 11th
Saw a small convoy of trucks and vans making it way though town today
Only Ride I saw was TILT but would imagine it will be joined by the usual Dodgems x 2 ,Kamikazi , Hurricane , Sizzler
Apline express a free kiddie rides and several Joints maybe a round up aswell if I pass by tommorrow will update the list
Aways seems a poor list compared from when I was a child

Community support seem to get less and less each year I notice quite a few bussiness advertising they will be open showday for year now Gladstone show day has been named Rockhampton {1 hr drive away} shopping day with shops in rockhampton have Gladstone Show Day Sales and free delivery to gladstone offers

The show ground is quite small and space is even less since 4 or 5 years ago the gladstone council stopped allowing one of the side streets to be closed and use at a area for the showie's to live in the carvans etc show they use space inside the grounds .
Theres been a on going spat between the show society and the council as the council want the show ground moved and also to take owner ship of the current show ground land
Theres a large area set aside for a new show ground / racecourse area but neither group seem interested in making the move
Josh in Rocky

Re: Gladstone Show 2010

Post by Josh in Rocky »

Took the kids to Gladdy on wednesday night for a look again this year.. One word sums up a potentially good show,,, disgraceful...
I can normally see positives in anything to do with the industry, but geez, it was hard on this day! lol
Ctls' Tilt looked great as usual, Alpine express the next biggest ride, and looks worse than ever. Top sign not even up (yes I know its a one day event, but make the effort) and no lights working etc... Was running good though..
March's wizzer is even worse than Rocky, no lights working at all, accept for the expertly placed halogen light strapped to the showgrounds fence beside the ride.
Blades Dodgems still looking great as usual, and nothing else really worth commenting on.. (Apart from the Teacups my kids went on that was trying to vibrate itself down the hill!) hehe, good one, now the kids are scared of tea cups! All my good work ruined... haha...
No Hurri or Ali Baba this year... Very dissapointing show.
I guess it just shits me when our local amusement companies have great rides sitting in sheds midweek waiting for weekend hire jobs, yet this show has gaps all over the place, 4 inflatable slides, 3 dodgem tracks, 4000 joints and food vans, 3 quads on an inflatable arena that barely run, and the same old sleepy, grumpy drones greeting the children... The industry gets a bad name with the general public why??? I think we all know why.... (Ctls guys are the only exception, great work guys)
On that note, it's not the equipment that I'm bagging, its the presentation of the equipment. You could have 30 dodgem tracks and I wouldn't care, if they all were presentable and had people running them that gave a sh** about what they are doing!
"Slingshot , Engage"
princess

Post by princess »

Thanks Josh good post,
Last edited by princess on Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Honestly Princess, that is one of the best posts in the history of Australian Amusement Fanatics. And Josh thank you for your post and hopefully Gladstone show will be better next year for you!
CoinKing

Post by CoinKing »

princess wrote:Thanks for that Josh, I have been told by some people in the industry that AAF members are usually bitter and not very positive about showmen's rides etc, we should not apologise for printing the truth, there are definitely times that some people write things on this site for a grudge, sometimes other showmen, trying to bag out someone else as a get square, or some ex disgruntled employees,there are even the times that showmen themselves try to give their own rides a wrap, to benefit their situations and none of us mind this, as some of us are not totally stupid, this normally stands out like dogs you know what's, we are usually quite aware of the people whose comments are not constructive, these comments are usually challenged or ignored, mostly we make bad comments because it needs to be fixed for the benefit of your industry.

I would hope that what is printed on these pages by some of the trusted members of AAF is taken into consideration by showmen, we are trying to improve your industry, as it is an industry that we love too, for many different and varied reasons, most of you know who to trust, whose opinions we value, we love to hear from showmen as we do quite regularly. Sorry but this has been going around in my head since I was spoken to about this, your thoughts would be appreciated!!!

By the way some of us are old some of us are young some in the middle, I think that we give a good overall judgement and usually fair comment from a varied cross section of the community.

so someone was complaining about some negative feedback on the internet, god help us. If everything was up to scratch nothing would need to be said, or we can just pretend everything is perfect and the rides have rainbows and little puppy dogs...
tooheyzz

Post by tooheyzz »

Thanks Josh Now I'm glad I stay at home in the warm
I can remember when Alpine Express was new it a shame any work done on its seem to have be a patch up job when it was new good lighting system seem a lot of them have eith been removed or coverd up with white panels
Maybe the weather lead to the half hearted presentation of the rides not really an excluse

Gladstone show has always basically been a 1 day event was orginally a thursday night and a friday daytime event

I sure many showmen could tell you a few tails of dealing with the people runing the show as could the speedway guys
I can't imagine things changing until theres change there

I alway thought the change ot showday from early june or august was a mistake for one the Major Ride went to the ekka so there was no chance for the to appear at gladstone but then again the way things it would be worth the effort

The MT Larcom Show (about 30km north of gladstone) is getting quite a following from the Gladstone people many people The Mt Larcom is quite a small country show usually a few rides attend but theres such a great atmosphere and quite a lot of entertainment included in the admission price

Maybe you should consider submiting your post to the Gladstone Newspaper Lters to the editor
princess

Post by princess »

Coinking you totally missed my point
CoinKing

Post by CoinKing »

princess wrote:Coinking you totally missed my point

please go on then, im listening.
princess

Post by princess »

Read it again!!!!!!
Josh in Rocky

Post by Josh in Rocky »

Maybe with the new speedway track being built at Benaraby, the show might go out there for a revamp? It is supposed to be a big complex, but who knows until the next few months of earthworks i guess?? The Gladstone show society have killed speedway at the showgrounds, and it seems the same is happening with the annual show too...
"Slingshot , Engage"
tooheyzz

Post by tooheyzz »

Don't see the show progress until theres new blood running it
The is a very large area on the northside of gladstone alocated for a Horse Racing and Showground from what I hear the racecourse is not interested unless the government give them the land the are currently occuping so they can sell it to pay for the move and the show committe don't want to move as that would mean sharing with the racecourse
The speedway have made a wise discision I think
Hopefully the distance from town won't discourage people from attending but atleast sure there won't be any noise complaints out there
Josh in Rocky

Post by Josh in Rocky »

And the speedway is being run by the Auto Club, so no show society...
"Slingshot , Engage"
DEEFA DODGEM

Post by DEEFA DODGEM »

Josh, the small turnout is probably because the showmen value their health! I used to work at the Yarwun Alumina Refinery a couple of years ago and the caustic stench in the air was putrid, not to mention the chemical plant next to it used to produce cyanide as well as other chemicals. Also the Gladstone power station with it's emissions and the Boyne Smelter! After many air quality control studies the government said there was nothing wrong with Gladstones' air quality. PIGS A**! When I commuted to work in Gladstone from Rocky, I first lived across from the Smelter and some days you could not go outside because of the smell and "fall out". I quickly found another place to stay in Gladstone right across from the marina (where they hold the Harbour Festival) but this time had to put up with airborne coal dust from the stockpiles from where they loaded the coal carriers. I always came back from Gladstone on my days off feeling like crap. I've worked at coal mines before but was never feeling crook, thanks to the water trucks that used to go around to keep the dust down. The best thing they could do is move the showgrounds out of town, like Toowoomba, and maybe more showmen will support the Gladstone Show!

DEEFA.
princess

Post by princess »

Thanks for that Deefa, my son is about to go and work on the tugs in Gladstone :(
tooheyzz

Post by tooheyzz »

Last edited by tooheyzz on Thu May 26, 2011 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
princess

Post by princess »

This still does not make me feel better and he has accommodation on the boat.
tooheyzz

Post by tooheyzz »

princess wrote:This still does not make me feel better and he has accommodation on the boat.
Should be all good nice clean see breezes
princess

Post by princess »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
tooheyzz wrote: Should be all good nice clean see breezes
DEEFA DODGEM

Post by DEEFA DODGEM »

Tooheyz, the place I work at was the Rio Tinto refinery at the first roundabout from the Mt. Larcom to Gladstone Rd. There we used to get raw bauxite (the orange stuff ) from the boats from Weipa via the overhead conveyor. From there it was processed into white Alumina powder- which used to eat into my aluminium bullbar I had on my Pajero. From there I thought it was sent to QAL (Boyne Smelter) to be turned into aluminium billets and blocks. I did hear that QAL had a 40 % share in the Gladstone power station due to the amount of power in takes to produce aluminium. Maybe you could ask if that is true? Strangely enough since I left Gladstone,I've have problems with my teeth too. They have been breaking off and are very brittle. Nearly time for a set a dentures! :lol:

DEEFA.
tooheyzz

Post by tooheyzz »

Last edited by tooheyzz on Thu May 26, 2011 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaffa23

Post by Jaffa23 »

We need to get Erin Brockovich onto the AAF forums,,,,

This sounds ugly,,,, :?
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

We need to get Erin Brockovich onto the AAF forums,,,,

This sounds ugly,,,,
:lol:
princess

Post by princess »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
zacchiniboy

Post by zacchiniboy »

Ctls' Tilt looked great as usual, Alpine express the next biggest ride, and looks worse than ever. Top sign not even up (yes I know its a one day event, but make the effort) and no lights working etc... Was running good though..
March's wizzer is even worse than Rocky, no lights working at all, accept for the expertly placed halogen light strapped to the showgrounds fence beside the ride.
I guess it just shits me when our local amusement companies have great rides sitting in sheds midweek waiting for weekend hire jobs, yet this show has gaps all over the place, 4 inflatable slides, 3 dodgem tracks, 4000 joints and food vans, 3 quads on an inflatable arena that barely run, and the same old sleepy, grumpy drones greeting the children... The industry gets a bad name with the general public why??? I think we all know why.... (Ctls guys are the only exception, great work guys)
On that note, it's not the equipment that I'm bagging, its the presentation of the equipment. You could have 30 dodgem tracks and I wouldn't care, if they all were presentable and had people running them that gave a sh** about what they are doing![/quote]

josh rocky you sound like you know it all
if you know so much then why dont you come and show us all in the bussiness who have been doin this sh** all our lives how it is actually done?? so you may not be bagging the gear but you are bagging all the showmen who try to make the effort to even get to thos overnight shows and mid weekers and put up the biggest gear on the show in rain hail or friggin thunder storms when we dont hav too! that show is even lucky its got one nowadays and were the only good people who are even trying to keep people turning up and it wouldnt matter if every piece of gear there looked a billion dollars it still wouldnt of made the show any better or worse than it was!
them two rides your talking about are two of the oldest rides still travelling that run and to make things better dont just happen overnight
and showmen dont give a sh** what you hav to say coz your just some dill who sits on his computer all day looking at photos of rides wishing you could own one but if you think you can do it better by all means come and show us
CoinKing

Post by CoinKing »