Sydney Royal Eastershow 09 Reviews

Hurricane

Re: Sydney Royal Eastershow 09 Reviews

Post by Hurricane »

I have a photo of Paulie on the Hangover that I took when I was down there. I will be posting it soon. It was a VERY last minute thing that I did, litterally!
Paulie123

Post by Paulie123 »

I went back today again. I only got on Spaceroller, Skywalker and No Limit. Probably my three favourite :lol:
And No Limit was running really good today so i decided to give it a go. It was really fun! Some pretty intense moments.
Haha. I love how on No Limit you sorta free fall then your head is getting whipped upsidedown and your just flying through the air. Best thing ever! It was a heaps great ride and pretty long too. 9/10.

Sure is up there with Spaceroller. Im heading back yet again on wednesday so that makes 4 trips this year. Haha, pretty funny considering I was only planning on going once. On wednesday I will do a final review with some pics and ride reviews. Hope everyone is enjoying the last few days of the show.
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

So im home finally...
got to the show 3 times.

TERRIBLE ATMOSPHERE WITHOUT RAINBOW!

Pirates is fun!, HUSS RANGER at Luna is AWESOME!

anyways, photos soon!

chris.

p.s Sorry I didn't get to catch up with anyone, and thanks OZ, fucking amazing ride on Space Roller....
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

was Wild Mouse working? Good to read you finally rode the grand old HUSS Ranger.
redhot

Post by redhot »

Hi guys, a few more pics of my visit last week.

Carny's built this country, the carnival part of it anyway..."Homer Simpson"

HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

Yeah, Mad Mouse was working fine.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Thanks for the photos redhot. Just got back from another day at the show. Photos up in the next few days.
princess

Post by princess »

Hear you've been spreading the love Topgunner.

I just got back from Royal, will put up a review tomorrow
princess

Post by princess »

I am still in love... with No Limit, it was working like a dream yesterday, giving riders lots of idle upside down time at the top, before it came crashing down to the ground, I would love this to be in Australia Ave.

Looking down Australia Ave, they have added an extra row of Joints, cutting off the atmosphere between the rides, not liking this.

Why oh why was Sky Walker stuck next to Techno Jump, tucked out of the way, lost its edge completely imo, in fact the first time I walked down this street,I did not even see it, though I was watching the joints quite intentley, feel sorry for the Hennessys, this position sucked, I did not even hear the superman theme, which did drive my more insane last year, but at least it got your attention.

I watched Hang Over, for a time, yeah blah.

Loved the theming for Sea Circus, very cute, the seats are a well thought, for poor tired, over extended families, not sure it should be in this spot though.

Watched Space Roller for quite sometime too, I had a little shift, I think I can ride this, but I would have to have someone I could trust,operating, (this would not be you Oz), to get me off if I needed :D

I wandered over to the kids area, its a great area for the kids, I watched a dad take his kid on Crazy Rider his dad was whooping, it was very funny, the kid just had a great time with his dad, everyone was having a good time and a smile.

Ok I did go on Haunted Hotel, I am not really a big fan of Ghost Trains, nor do I normally like people in the ride, trying to scare you, but it does do something to giving you a bit of a fright, at one stage my hair was gently brushed, which did give me shivers, (I will let you into a bit of a secret, I have had some paranormal experiences, this brusing of the hair is one that I actually do get, so it definitely triggered a moment).

The other thing I noticed last night was that the music seemed very quiet, very sad, I love the music pumping, I know that the people there must get sick of the music, music and rides go hand in hand, loud is the way I love it.

There were quite a few more personalities spruking this year, some good ones, also noticed some arrogance, (maybe they were tired), if you dont like people dont work the joints.

This was my last visit (I think) always a sad time, the Carnival is Over for another year :cry:
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Nice review princess. Yeh over for me aswell for another year. Yeh Skywalker is in a shoking position, it's blocked out by the Pirate's Revenger then its useless for patrons walking past when its down because they don't have a clue what the rides actions are. I heard people asking the deck hands what the ride does and some of the time, the riders were re-riders. Hopefully a better position next year.

And also the music/sound system situation, I saw an official from the show ask the operators of the Skywalker to turn the music down which can be a bit disapointing, taking away from a bit of the atmosphere that is meant to make sideshow alley
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Princess... I will happily take you on Space Roller at EKKA if you come. I have to shout you as you shouted me on the Hurricane at Campbelltown last year :)
Super Loops

Post by Super Loops »

princess wrote: The other thing I noticed last night was that the music seemed very quiet, very sad, I love the music pumping, I know that the people there must get sick of the music, music and rides go hand in hand, loud is the way I love it.

I know what you mean.. nothing is worse than a ride without some blasting music. Rides and music go hand in hand.

By the way, forgot to say good reviews everyone. I wish I could have been there, maybe next year?
Space Roller Freak

Post by Space Roller Freak »

I'm deffintly going next year. It will be interesting to see what rides get kicked off to make room for the new rides coming in to australia.

Space Roller Freak
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Well now time for my reviews. I'm going to do 3 parts this year as I'll be puting up a few kids carnival photos. Anyway here we go. Well Sydney Show 2009, came around with a bang and basically left with a bang. The show came as quick as it went. Took a few trips down to the show over the 13 days of the show. The first Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday were with the school cattle and one last visit on Monday just to walk around the show. Had a great time down there and I'm sure everyone else did. This year with the show falling in the school holidays, thousands of familes flocked to the show with the Easter long weekend being chockers. By the time the Easter long weekend was over, crowd figures looked to be on the way to a record breaking attendance. With figures up so much, it has been reported an increase in crowds by an average of 10% on top of last year. But anyway onto the carnival aspect of the show.

A bit of a change with the Coca Cola Carnival area this year. With of course the new rides on the block were Joyland's Pirate's Revenge, Showtime Amusements Buried Alive simulator and Showtime getting there re-fitted ghost train the Haunted Hotel back on after a years absence. A bit of a let down for some with the Rainbow having to be pulled out due to some reasons and others so that meant Gill's had the chance to show what their new purchase in the Ali Baba could do. Other rides to leave the showgrounds were Durkin's Claw and Chaos which I have to admit weren't looking the best and looking really tired. Another crowd favourite to go was the Ferrari 500 go karts which was personally one of my favourites. Anyway lets kick this part of the review off.

The 3 Dodgem Tracks: Short's, Laurie's and Coney Fair's-All three tracks were looking fantastic as they do year after year. All three tracks are very unique I think because they all have a different feel and theme to them. With Laurie's track the more clasical themed with the great Australian muster murals painted on the panels on the top border of the track and with the operators dressed very smartly in their collared shirts, with moleskins. Coney Fair's tack is a nice looking track with the beautiful lights around the border of the ride and the ride has a more tropical/beachy theme/feel. The cars are painted along with the artwork of the track with a nice shade of blue being the main colour with a variety of different colours combined to give a really vibrant feel. And Short's track themed with the sports cars around the border of the track. It also feels more like a raceway by the way the ride is themed too. All tracks were popular and great to have them there.

Crazy Coaster: Easily one of the most popular rides at the show and always is year after year. Th new signs on the front of the ride shine by LED's and the changing colours make them look really nice. All staff running the ride were presented really well with the purple shirts and the ride itself is looking really good and in great shape. All mice were running and was really a crowd pleaser with all ages. Always a great ride to have at any show.

Power Surge: Well well well, Joyland's Power Surge, where do I start. the ride looks fantastic and is a very stricking ride with the presentation of the ride. The artwork on the back wall is superb and is a very bright, eye catching appeal. All lighting was working and running and chasing. the new electric voltage bars along the front of the ride just notch the ride that bit further up. With the red and yellow neons and the white blinker lights through the middle of the neons. The ride was running very well with Mile's behind the control panel and was giving a great ride cycle. Especially the time with Paulie running one way, then the other then back the other way again. The ride was running at a good speed and the random movements and flipping and tipping was creating a very fun and enjoyable ride. Great work to Joylands for the ride and god on ya Miles for the running of the ride.

Haunted Hotel: This ride has come back after its years absence due to being kicked off by the Halloween last year. The ride has come back as the Hotel themed building and has blown alot of people away. The ride looks like it has just come across from Europe and was certainly gining people a good scare. The ride had a decent line throughout the period when I saw it and was popular with the families. The lighting at night was another fantastic thing about the ride. The green flood lights combined with all the animatrics and other lighting made the ride feel very dark and gloomy. Good to see the ride back.

Buried Alive: Unfortunately didn't get a chance to have a go at this new craze at the show. But was presented well especially with the coffin car all shined up out the front of the tent. Had a few people having ago and from what I heard was more of a fun experience rather then a scary one. A nice new and different addition to the show.

Skymaster Wheel: One of the classics of the show and always popular with everyone whether your a thrill junkie or just someone that likes to go for a glide through the sky.I decided to get on this year and fantastic views of the showground and especially the carnival area. The ride is very well presented and the lighting at night looks very nice.

Hard Rock: Another popular ride. The ride was looking stricking as usual during the day and night and always had a decent line of people waiting to have ago. I missed out on riding this one but from past rides on it, it is always a good fun ride. Had all the strobes going at night along with the fog machine.

Mega Drop: Fancy a drop from the top? I hadn't ridden this ride for a few years but got dragged on this year. Slowly creeping up to the top before stopping at the top for another good view of the carnival area. Then suddenly your plumeting down to the ground. And boy you definately get an adrenaline rush and in the process loose your gut as you drop. A very fun ride and I'm glad I rode it. Looking as good as usual and at night with all the lights running up the tower.

Ranger: I didn't ride this either but has had a bit of work done to it. The paint has been gone over and is a bright looking ride again. Also alot of OCS Fun stickers and decals stuck on the cars. All lights were running at night. And the sound of the ride is very different and sounds like a dinosaur or something being slaughtered lol. Not being a bad thing but I do like this sound. Always a good ride to have at the show.

Sea Circus. Decided to try this out and the ride has some good animatrics through it. A haven't been on a funhouse is a long while. There was alot of different things through the ride and was actually really fun and I actually had a good time on there. I also got up there to get a few photos. The ride itself is very well presented. Very bright colours are painted on the ride and the special characters that are all over the ride like the octopus on top of the ticket box and the waurus fishing look very good.

Extreme Speed Machine: The ride is always well presented. The new LED lights up the arm and the tower look very good at night. The ride experience was a very fun one. Riding with Paulie once and went on again on Monday. The ride was very smooth and was running pretty fast. The seats on the ride are very comfy which make the ride more enjoyable. The ride cycles were a good length aswell.

RollerGhoster: This was very popular with the graveyard created out the front of the ride again made the ride look more appealing. The ride looks in good condition and the artwork over the ride looks really good. The scare photos looked like they were a hit too. A very well presented ride.

Hangover: This was the first time I've seen this ride so I decided to have a ride. The open seats rather then being in the cages is pretty good, more opened and a bit of a different experience. The ride cycle was a good decent length with plenty of loops in both directions and a bit of hangtime. The ride is presented well but I think its a bit over done with all the hangover signs around the border of the ride.

Zipper: Always a good ride and a good classic to still have on the midways of our Royal capital shows. Unfortunately I missed out on riding this too. But was running pretty well and the ride was very well presented. The new artwork on the tower looks great with murals of the rock legends painted on and the new sign and the LED's on the wheels at the end of the boom were all working and were very bright. Shame I did miss out on riding it.

Sling Shot: Looking good as usual, wasn't to busy whenever I walked past. I think once you've tried it, you've done it so it isn't the ride many people would re-ride. I still haven't tried this but next time I see it I will. had new lights up the towers with orange and blue up there.

No Limit: You can't go to a show without trying this. Looking good as usual, the top sign was back and was working again. The ride cycles were pretty lenghty and the rides I had on it were pretty intense. I ended up riding it 3 times lol. All three were good but the last ride I had on it was a very thrilling one. Also saw a phone drop while i was on too lol. Taking a few swings to get to the top before the break on the gondala being released and sent into a frenzy of spinning and face planting into the ground or being whipped around. A good ride to see anywhere and glad we have it here in the country.

Taipan: Looking good as usual, at night had rope lights running all over the tracks and all the lights working. This was also very popular and always is. I decided to have a ride again and the ride is really enjoyable. Firstly going down one hill then the second at a fast speed then my favourite part would be going through the helixs going round and round gathering speed before going over the station then going through another helix down. A fun ride and glad we still have this on our shows too.

Theres part 1. The next 2 will be up soon. Enjoy! P.S: if the images come up as the little icon with the x in the box. Just right click and go down the list and click show picture. They should work.

Cheers
Top Gunner14
redhot

Post by redhot »

Great work Topgun!
Look forward to seeing the rest of your reveiw.

Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Alright part 2 here we go.

Pirate's Revenge: Well, what can you say about this, I know the first thing I said when I first saw it was WOW! Where do you start with the ride. Lets just say all the crew at Joyland's have done a fantastic job at presenting this ride to the residents of Sydney. It looks alot different to when it was at Luna Park and I heard some reps from LPS came out to see the ride and they nearly fell over from what they saw. Lets start with the ride experience. You get in the log, taken up the first hill then round the corner and down the first fall. Splash into the water, you don't get too wet which is good. Also don't forget to smile for the camera. Then around the shark up onto the next rise which is of course bigger up the hill then you reach the top and in your face is the giant sign which looks great. Then your cascading down the steep hill and into the water below. You get more wet and its a fun fall down the hill. Then your ride is over, exiting the ride to the photo cabin to check out your photo. The photos were pretty popular too. But the presentation of the ride is remarkable. The length Joyland's have gone too is unreal. From the new sign up the top of the ride, to the shark in the pool, to all the figurines layed out around the ride whether it be crocodiles, pirates with cannons whatever it is. This ride was so popular that one of the days on the long weekend, the line was out to one of the food vans across the road from the Skymaster. The ride was definately a good addition to this years show well done again to Joyland's.

Ali Baba: Alot of people were disapointed about this taking over from the Rainbow's absence. Was still quite popular and this was the first time I'd seen this particular unit. Looked pretty good too, nice artwork, all lights running and working etc. The ride experience was pretty good too, loosing your gut on the first fall and I have to admit was over doing the playing of those playbacks and sounds. But still a good ride but as we know, would rather the Huss Rainbow.

Space Roller: First time I've seen it for the year. Was running well with Oz behind the control panel. The ride was looking good with 2 of the signs back up the front, the other two weren't up as yet. But they looked good just like the originals. The new artwork on the ride looks good, the side panels look better with Space Roller up them. All lighting was running well and the ride experience was very fun. Good lengthy cycles with fast rotations. The ride was running well in forwards and in reverse it was even better. Always good to see this beast.

Breakdance: Looking good as usual the new LEDs along the catwalk/queve line were working and looked good constantly changing. The LEDs on the backwall look great at night and the artwork on the backwall and cars looks very nice. Was as popular as always but didn't get the chance to ride.

Raupen Bahn: Looking good and quite popular too. The top signs weren't working but all the lights inside the ride were and looked quite nice during the evening. The ride cycles were pretty good and plenty of intereaction from the operator then with the cover going over the top of the rides giving a different experience.

Cliff Hanger: Had a new paint job and looks better with some brighter colours along the arms. Was sorta popular with line not being too big. I decided to have a try as I'd never been on before. Wasn't to exciting but was okay. Quite a relaxing ride to calm you down but gave you that feeling of hang gliding through the air. Still an alright ride but I do prefer the classic trooper.

Starship 2000: Was sorta popular not as popular as it has been in recent years. I think its kinda loosing its appeal which is a bit of a shame. Was looking okay with the artwork over the ride itself looking good. All the lights were working and the ride cycles weren;t too long.

Sea Xplorer: Didn't go on this but wasn't as popular either. Looks quite nice too with that old submarine theme. Looks good at night with the green flood lights lighting up the ride. Was more popular with the younger ones.

Wave Swinger: Looking nice as always with all the old paintings around the border of the ride and on the main 'hat' of the ride. Was popular as it always is. Looked good at night and was well lighten up. Haven't ridden one in ages so decided to jump on and was a nice relaxing ride with the wind blowing through even though it was raining at the time I was on lol. But still a good ride.

Thunderbolt: Everywhere it goes, it will always be popular and it was very popular. In a different poistion away from its old one where its been for a while. But the ride looks fantastic. The lights kept the ride alive and a good vibe around the ride was felt while it was busy. Had to have a ride couldn't miss out on riding it. Boy is this running fast or what. The new electric drives were powering this ride and pushing this ride to very very fast speeds. Was clocked on the police radar at 170 km/h too. Forwards was good and backwards was great fun too. Just watching the empty cars at full speed is amazing swinging right up over the hills back down while in the valleys then swinging right up again over the hill. A very enjoyable ride with the siren belted out while at full speed but not too much interaction which was a bit disapointing which really makes this ride. The ride operator sometimes didn't even say scream if you wanna go faster but all the patrons knew how this ride worked so they were screaming as soon as the ride started. A great ride and a shame its not at more shows around the country.

Skywalker: Haven't seen this ride since last Sydney show. The ride looks fantastic from the artwork on the backwall, to the LED lighting along the back wall and over the ride. I hopped on a few times over the period I was at the show. The first time I was so shocked to how much faster it was going compared to last year. It was so fast I was in pain at times and couldn't tell which way was up or down, or horizontal or vertical. The ride cycles were good lengths with good interaction and spruiking from the operator. The ride also feels different to all the others. It feels more like a robot in control. It feels alot diffferent which I like about this ride. I love the star wars clippits they play over the sound system before take off too. A great ride just a shame I don't see it more often through the year.

Techno Jump: Looking good as always with a variety of programs used for the jumping patterns. Was quite popular with all age groups too. Was presented well with the lighting all working during the evening and good long ride cycles.

Theres part 2. .S: if the images come up as the little icon with the x in the box. Just right click and go down the list and click show picture. They should work.
Enjoy!

Cheers
Top Gunner14
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

God review mate.... see my Space Roller CD's in the control booth window? haha
we really need Rainbow back at the 2010 Show... it just didnt feel the same.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

And finally part 3. Just a little review of the kids carnival. Kids around everywhere with thrie parents. Everyone was having a good time down there with the rides and the games and activities for the kids to do. The rides were all looking good and were all pretty busy. Just a few photos of some of the rides.

Wave Swinger: Looking good and was very popular when I saw it running constant full loads everytime. Was giving good lengthy cycles too. Was probably the most popular ride in the kids area.

Rockin' Tug: Looks fantastic and probably one of the best family rides in Australia. Good ride cycles and plenty of interaction which got the kids and their parents involved in the fun of the ride.

Crazy Rider: Looking good but wasn't to busy while I was there. I jumped on for a ride and boy I was stuffed by the end of it lol. A good long cycle took me a few goes to get over the top. But a pretty fun ride all up and well presented.

Pavier's Waverider and Bell's Carousel were all very well presented and were quite popular.

All rides there were all looking good. Sorry didn't get any photos of the two coasters. Finally all my photos up hopefully everyone had a great time at the show and a shame its just about finished. A very well done to all the owners and operators for having all gear in fantastic condition and presented to their best. Was very nice to see some owners like Peter Malonas, Elwin Bell Snr, Owen Bell and nice to meet some new people like Luke Hennessy, Lew Osbourne, Greg Webster, Jay Short and a few others. A shame the show has gone buty had a great time. Anyway Enjoy!!

Cheers
Top Gunner14
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Haha sure did Huss, looked good. And Luke Hennessy showed me his CD too. Good work
Paulie123

Post by Paulie123 »

Great review Adam. Your photos are looking pretty professional. Flickr them! And yeah, I agree about hangover. 8 times is a little much to write the rides name.
princess

Post by princess »

Yes Adam great review.

I went back out yesterday, for a very quick visit, I was quite surprised at how many people there were there, it was about 11, all rides had people riding them, even queues, so if this had kept up it would have been a great day, the weather was still on and off, but as I was leaving people were still pouring into the car park.
Paulie123

Post by Paulie123 »

Yeah the ques werent too big. The longest line was probably for the Taipan, which usually has the longest anyway. The kids day ride deal was so good. Me and a friend got 70 coupons for $60. We payed $30 each and for those who dont know how the deal works.. You pay 7 or 6 or whatever and you both get on. So if you think about it your only paying 3-4 tickets per ride. And only 7 for No Limit and Speed. The deal finished at 5 though so we came home then. Ill put the last few pics up soon.
princess

Post by princess »

Ok, now I realise why there were so many people in sideshow alley.
Paulie123

Post by Paulie123 »

Hah yeah ^ Well heres my last lot of pictures for RES09. On wednesday i got on :

Pirates revenge
Spaceroller
Taipan
Haunted hotel
Thunderbolt
Techno Jump x 2
Ferris wheel
Dodgems
Mega drop

Had a mega awesome time. It was my first time on Thunderbolt and I was pretty excited to get on it as Hurricane was telling me how good it was and how I had to go on it :lol: And it was a great ride. I forgot how fun Techno jump was aswell. Heres the pictures, enjoy! :

I love this picture ^ ^ Dont know why.

Countdown to RES10 starts .. now 8)
redhot

Post by redhot »

Love the pics you took from the wheel Paulie.
Good work!! :D