Rainbow's End New Zealand

Discussions about Parks and Fairs in New Zealand
kiwi

Rainbow's End New Zealand

Post by kiwi »

Went for a visit last week, it had been years since I was last their. Went to see the Powersurge they installed this year. Didn't really think a lot of it. Have to say I wasn't overly impressed when I saw one traveling in England either. Many showmen their thought it was missing something- maybe a blackflash at least would have made it more appealing. At Rainbow's End the location they have chosen for it dons't help either.
Attachments
Powersurge 1
Powersurge 1
IMG_0851_1_1_1_1_1.JPG (40.31 KiB) Viewed 18589 times
Powersurge 2
Powersurge 2
IMG_0896_1_1_1_1.JPG (32.03 KiB) Viewed 18589 times
IMG_0830_1_1_1_1.JPG
IMG_0830_1_1_1_1.JPG (34.86 KiB) Viewed 18588 times
princess

Post by princess »

Rainbows end needs a little more atmosphere as well, though it is in a great location right next to the motorway.
Mattie
Super Administrator

Post by Mattie »

Kiwi, it is could to hear about other parks overseas. Can you give us some more information on what this park has on offer, other than a roller coaster and powersurge?
Founder / Editor
Australian Amusement Fanatics
kiwi

Rainbows End

Post by kiwi »

They have quite a good website- www.rainbowsend.co.nz

They installed a freefall tower a couple of years back, not sure how high but I believe its not a bad ride.

They built a nice little kids dragon roller coaster a number of years back now, circuling the kids area. Including a very nice 2 a breast Chance Carousal.

A couple of sets of Go Carts which have been their since day one- some 25 yrs ago. Still have an old Cinema 180, along with a motion master simulator ride.

A tidy log flume, with a home built mine type roller coaster ride.

I have heard via the grapevine they are intending to put in some more rides in the future- not sure what type at the moment, but will post when and if I find out.

Overall it is a tidy park- it has struggled in the past but seems to be doing well for itself. With only 1 million people odd in greater Auckland, it will never grow to be a large park.
Jmill326

Post by Jmill326 »

Fear Fall is the name of their free fall.
It is aproximately 18 storys or stories high.

Post by Guest »

I moved from NZ a few years back to come here, Rainbowsend always used ot be the best place in the world for me.

There log ride is quite large, beiiger and better than the one at Dreamworld.
A small Dragon theme coaster for kiddies has been there since I was little(r)

I haven't actually been on the Fear Fall yet, but I have heard it is quite good, it is a roainbow colour.
They have a small pirate ship there, alot like the one at Sea World.

Thats about it really, they have a Power Surge and a looping rolleroaster.

Go to the website..
http://www.rainbowsend.co.nz

They have an animated map sort of thing with gives a decent amount of infomation on the ride.

Admission to the park is extremely good value, I think it is 29 dollars for a kid, 39 dollars for an adult and unlike Dreamworld there are spectator thingys, meaning that if you are a parent and you are not interested in going on the rides, all you have to pay is 12 dollars, however on weekdays that are not holidays spectators are free!

Thats all I can really tell you about Rainbowsend, if you wanna know more just ask me. :)
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

The looping coaster is a Arrow LoopScrew, the same track design as Sea Worlds corkscrew, Apparently it's really rough, the complete oposite to Sea Worlds version.
Jmill326

Post by Jmill326 »

That rollercoaster wasn't rough when I went on it!

Leave it alone you bully :(
benclare

Post by benclare »

Yes Rainbows End is a good park and is in a great location. Is the roller coaster still sponsored by Coke? I reckon the Super Loop would be really popular there and perhaps a Hurricane and Wave Swinger too.
Jmill326

Post by Jmill326 »

I'm not sure whether it's still sponsored by coke, it was last time I checked but that was a while ago.

I think it needs more thrills and a little more atmosphere.
I loved it as a little kid.. =]

Hehe
princess

Post by princess »

I agree Jmill
princess

Post by princess »

A close friend of my daughters brother was killed at Rainbows end this morning, my heart goes out to his family and friends, in this tragic accident.
benclare

Post by benclare »

Yes a bloody sad and tragic accident; I'm sorry to hear about it Princess. :(
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Ah fudge, was that the Ferris Wheel accident Princess? I read about that on Yahoo News. My thoughts go out to all his friends and family.
princess

Post by princess »

Yes Hurricane it was the ferris wheel, his funeral is today and Rainbows End will be closed today as a mark of respect, there has been extensive coverage of this in the New Zealand Herald.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

It certainly sounds like park management is truly doing their best to console the staff and family. (a lot of parks out there would go down the 'business as usual' path)

My condolences also to the friends, family and fellow staff of the man.
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

It's really quite tragic when things happen like that. And one of the good things about a family owned park (or small park like Rainbows End) Is they had the respect for the family / friends of the person involved to close the park down for a day in remembrance. I actually first heard of the incident from a friend who lives in NZ.

In June I'm actually heading to New Zealand at this stage, so I'll take a trip down to the park and check it out!
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

What is the ownership structure of Rainbows End? Is it privately owned and operated?
princess

Post by princess »

I dont know Zamperla, maybe this is a question Kiwi can answer.

Excuse me for being nosy Hurricane, what are you going to do in New Zealand, the best thrill country in the world, there is so much to do there, more in the south, but still some good rafting around Rotaroua and Waitomo, apologies for the spelling.
kiwi

Rainbows End

Post by kiwi »

I believe it was started by a corporate highflyer early on. Think it was also listed at some stage. Its a park that has had its up's and down's. For a while it didn't seem to get a lot of investment put back into it.

Otherwise not really sure, I will see what I can find. I do know its not a family run park.
benclare

Post by benclare »

I maybe wrong but I heard Premier Parks of the US invested in Rainbows End at some stage. It's a pity the park doesn't make it onto too many tourist commercials. Many people visit Auckland and never know it's there.
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

It's ok Princess, I'm actually flying over for a mates 18th... But i'll be on the north island most of the time.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Im sorry to hear princess, all my thoughts are with ur family and friends

Cheers
Top Gunner14
kiwi

Re: Rainbow's End New Zealand

Post by kiwi »

Rainbowsend opened a new ride last week. I believe its a Zamperla Disko Coaster, drove past but could see much through the trees.

http://www.rainbowsend.co.nz
Top Gunner14

Re: Rainbow's End New Zealand

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Should be a great addition to the park, would like to try a Disko coaster, would be something different