L&L's Rage

luvrides

Re: L&L's Rage

Post by luvrides »

I think they scrapped it just like the superloop. I reccon they have plenty of money.
Aussie Ride Broker

Post by Aussie Ride Broker »

I could go back further and say Wittingslow's Music Express back in the mid-late 70's.

Australian's Leading Ride Broker
www.australianamusementbrokers.com.au(In Recess)
tooheyzz

Post by tooheyzz »

The sound from that video sure sounds likes the Old Music Machine lots of clatter for the joints in the rails oh memories

if you look at a lot of older rides they weren't racked on trailers but rather a build of many pieces just set up on the ground
Ive Seen tilt's in the UK that are built up from scratch as well
Guess as rides got bigger and more powerful and Labor cost increased this lead to the need to an easier & quicker method of build

As I've previously posted there was another music express ride that was new same time as alpine express was new
only remember it at our local show gladstone 2 or 3 time guess it would have don't the rocky show as well
from memory it had white cars of similar style to alpine express except car rather than hanging the had wheels underneath
but apart from that my memory fades
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

The Tilt a Whirls have always been set-up from scratch wth the ride just racking on pieces on the trailer. They are still manufactured like that today. And you could be thinking of the Waltzers which are very popular in the UK
greeny

Post by greeny »

it is the music machine also knone as the grease machine in its day
greeny

Post by greeny »

wen i worked on it it was always coverd in grease new jeans evry show and was on two tralers one for centre one for cars and arms chad morgan jr was the main man operator
princess

Post by princess »

Welcome Greeny
DEEFA DODGEM

Post by DEEFA DODGEM »

I remember riding the Music Machine at Rocky once and there was plenty of steam (or smoke?) coming up from between the mirror ball in the middle and the centre of the tarp that used to cover the arms. It didn't seem to effect the operation of the ride. Was this just excess grease being 'burnt' off or was this normal Greeny?, and Chad Morgan jr, I hope he looked nothing like the singing sensation-"Chad Morgan". :roll:
Aussie Ride Broker

It use to do the Rocky show each year when it was own originally by Wittingslows, back in the late 70's & 80's.

tooheyzz

Post by tooheyzz »

[quote="DEEFA DODGEM"]I remember riding the Music Machine at Rocky once and there was plenty of steam (or smoke?) coming up from between the mirror ball in the middle and the centre of the tarp that used to cover the arms.

Where i once worked they put a water hose on bearings that are running hot just to keep the machines running (not amusement ride though) this causes quite a bit of steam but usually resulted in damaging more than just the bearing in the end
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Aussie Ride Broker wrote:It use to do the Rocky show each year when it was own originally by Wittingslows, back in the late 70's & 80's.
So Wittingslow owned this Music Machine ride which is now L&L Osbourne's The Rage and they also once owned the Mack Disco Train which is now at Luna Park Sydney?
DEEFA DODGEM

Post by DEEFA DODGEM »

Millers owned the Music Machine when I rode it in the mid 80's-mid 90's. I'm pretty sure they also used to bring it to our "Capricana" festival as well in September of each year. There was also a Tilt-a-Whirl that had a white and green prime mover that had a painting of a team of horses pulling a long wagon painted on its' roof mounted air deflector with a Hiab style crane mounted behind the cab. (E.Johnson was the name on the side of the truck I think?). We also had a blue Zipper turn up as well. Geez, big choice of 3 rides to choose from at our festival back then. Witts didn't bring too many rides up to Rocky that I know of, if they did, it was before my riding days.
Deefa.
DEEFA DODGEM

Post by DEEFA DODGEM »

Where i once worked they put a water hose on bearings that are running hot just to keep the machines running (not amusement ride though) this causes quite a bit of steam but usually resulted in damaging more than just the bearing in the end
Geez Tooheyzz, when I worked at the mines, it was almost a weekly chore to pack and lube bearings with grease that were in use underground. Coal dust would do horrible damage to bearings if it got in. No wonder the bearings where you worked ended up causing so much damage to equipment. Obviously your maintenance organiser was a switched on guy??
Aussie Ride Broker

Back in '77 & 78 when I toured with Wittingslows they bought their Zipper, Orbitor, Matterhorn and Music Express on the Northern Run. The Zipper and Orbitor did the full run whilst the Matterhorn and Music Express did Maryborough,Bundaberg, Rocky, Mackay, Townsville, Cairns and then straight through to Brisbane for Ekka.

Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

So is that Musik Express the Mack model now at Luna Park or is that the Music Machine? Sorry my question hasn't been answered lol.

And didn't know Johnson's owned a Tilt, wonder if its still here or sitting in a yard somewhere?
PNC

Post by PNC »

im sure i was told that the rage used to have some sought of weird drive system, cant remember exactly what it was, but it did use water some how
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

PNC maybe this is similar to Alpine Express. That uses some sort of electrified water drive system too.
CoinKing

Post by CoinKing »

sodium + water = goes faster
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Wow, that sure sounds odd Dave. Are you possibly able to give us some more insight on the drive system.
PNC

Post by PNC »

yeh thats sounds about right from what i remember, and the more sodium you add the faster it goes (for some reason i thought i was told salt)
Aussie Ride Broker

Top Gunner14 wrote:So is that Musik Express the Mack model now at Luna Park or is that the Music Machine? Sorry my question hasn't been answered lol.

And didn't know Johnson's owned a Tilt, wonder if its still here or sitting in a yard somewhere?

Now Top Gunner, Wittingslow's Music Machine and Musik Express are 2 completely different rides.

Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Hurricane, no, I can't really add much more to it. But now that PNC mentions, it did have something to do with salt water. Alpine Express was very 'state of the art' for its debut in the mid-1980's, it was also one of the first (if not, the first) to be computer designed.

Can anyone add more info on how this drive system works?
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

No I know the difference between the two rides Aussie Ride Broker. Just wondering if Witt's once had ownership of both the rides
tooheyzz

Post by tooheyzz »

Zamperla wrote:Hurricane, no, I can't really add much more to it. But now that PNC mentions, it did have something to do with salt water. Alpine Express was very 'state of the art' for its debut in the mid-1980's, it was also one of the first (if not, the first) to be computer designed.

Can anyone add more info on how this drive system works?
This is my thoughts

Its called a Liquid Rheostat

Basically it a simple variable Resistor

I assuming the drive motor would be a Wound Rotor Motor

Speed control with these motors is done be changing the resistance connected to the rotor windings

First i thought it strange Apline Express not having a solid state drive
but then i though about it a solid state drive would have cost a fortune and theres no risk of downtime waiting for a replacement for a blown up component
No

I also found a bit here

Code: Select all

The Himalaya were first created back in 1960. Saltwater and electricity powered the ride. Underneath the control booth was a vat where the saltwater is poured in.  Inside the booth was a wheel that you turn to lower an electrical "fork" into the water. To speed up the ride, you turned the wheel to lower the fork. To slow it down, you turn the wheel the other way to lift the fork out of the water. The more salt you put in the water, the faster it goes.
http://www.freewebs.com/revehimi/
PNC

Post by PNC »

that sounds like exactly what i was told, one of my staff used to work the rage for Lew, also the haunted mansion, now haunted hotel