eKKA 2010

princess

Re: eKKA 2010

Post by princess »

Pouring rain, it was highest rain recorded in August for 120 years, amazingly wet day. :wink:
Hardrock

Post by Hardrock »

Doesnt seem to much of an ekka. Wheres all the feed back you QLD fanatics.
Funderstruck

Post by Funderstruck »

I didnt think much of it this year. My mate and I counted 9 or 10 major rides that were missing. Only the Mixer which was broken down more than going and the Hurri were the only non regular rides. I know it is because the rent is so steep they didnt turn up but it left the show a little lacking on atmosphere. I really thought there were not enough "Family" rides too. The kids area was quiet empty with unused spots everywhere.
Brisbane does not need 3 roller coasters but I the RNA needed fill up spots I'm guessing. Needs to go back to when the Coasters alternated.
Was good to see the Ali Baba back on although I don't think they did real well.
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Sorry if I am confused... but did you say 3 roller-coasters? I only saw Taipan and Crazy Coaster. I personally thought that the EKKA was really lacking in atmosphere myself. I think 2007 was the best year that they had at EKKA, with Power Surge, No Limit and even Raupen Bahn. It also felt strange walking down sideshow alley and not even having the Slingshot at the showgrounds. One of the other things that I noticed was there was no one even spruiking on the joint's this year. I really feel as though something needs to be done or even more showmen will pull out of EKKA in the future. Luckily the show was blessed with decent weather apart from the Tuesday.

I really do wish that No Limit would come back onto the showgrounds next year, but from what i've heard Bell's are no longer interested in doing the show which is really sad. Overall this year's EKKA was the worst out of the 4 that I have been to. I did go on the Wednesday and went on a heap more rides, and i'll do a review in the coming days.
Funderstruck

Post by Funderstruck »

Yes 3. Pirates Revenge is a coaster, a water coaster.
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Ah okay, I don't really consider Pirates Revenge a Roller-coaster. Moreso a log flume, but each to their own :)
Funderstruck

Post by Funderstruck »

Log Flume, Water Coaster...same thing. If you take the water away they still work like a roller coaster as all the cars have the wheels in the bottom and sides. On all the drops you are running on the wheels and the water is for looks and to get you wet :lol:
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

I'd hate to see how it brakes without the water!!
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

lol (brakes) yeah I agree Funder, Pirates Revenge fits a rollercoaster criteria. Definitely as far as footprint goes. Interesting observations guys re: EKKA issues.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Shame with all the drop in the number of bigger rides this year. That's the exact reason Power Surge didn't attend, rent too high, not making enough money to cover costs. As that would be with alot of the other rides. I'm suprised Slingshot nor Insanity were on, from what I heard last year Insanity went pretty well.

I've heard March's went well with the Sky Walker and their Hurricane went well up against all the bigger rides. That got on at the last minute as someone handed in their ground. Does anyone know what the rent is at Brissie compared to Sydney Show, as I've heard that's quite expensive at Sydney...
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

Wonder why MEGA DROP didnt get set up, it was there when I visited
princess

Post by princess »

Probably the rents as well
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

I know the Sydney rent is comparitively less than other capitals but unlike anywhere else, ticketing is centralised and the RES also take a percentage of ride earnings. Sounds to me like this system would benefit ride owners if it were implimented at EKKA with its poor attendance if it meant less rent. I wonder how the loss of the chairlift has affected traffic to other parts of the grounds. IMO the removal of this was a big loss for EKKA.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Mega Drop never attends anymore due to the popularity not being enough and you can guess why when you have Dreamworld's Giant Drop on the Gold Coast...
Funderstruck

Post by Funderstruck »

The Ekka is about $1000 a metre frontage (plus GST I think) if I remember correctly. From the couple of showmen I have spoken to they deffinately don't want the way Sydney is run implimented at the Ekka.
If you made it into the Woolworths pavillion you would have seen what the future development of the grounds will look like and if you did you would have seen that in the not too distant future there will be no rides on the Petrie Tce side of the grounds as it will all be developed.
I personally prefered the old days when all the kiddie rides were down the bottom of sideshow alley on the outer edge of oval 2.
PNC

Post by PNC »

im not sure if this will work, but i have lost my photobucket account details, so i uploaded them to facebook and make the folder open to everyone, so i hope they show up here

some of them arent great, but they are the best of what we got
princess

Post by princess »

great photos PNC, the midway skyline looks great, haunted hotel appears to have had a colour change not green at night and the most amazing thing I saw was suits for joint workers mmmmm, they would have been pongy by the end of the day imo.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Good photos cheers for them PNC. Davis' wheel looks great, how did it go, sure it would've been popular. Heard it went very well on the north run. Chase Hansen's Deal or No Deal joint is looking fantastic! Looks very classey and even has plasma screens. Very clever idea for a joint his got going. Mixer looks good but shame that the front of the trailer pokes right out, making the machine looking set right back.
princess

Post by princess »

Top Gunner14 wrote:Very clever idea for a joint his got going.
The same concept of pick you lucky number out of a bucket, just a more modern approach.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Yeh I just think it's clever with as you said, the approach his taking to do it, catches peoples eyes due to the success of the TV show
CoinKing

Post by CoinKing »

too bad he stole the idea from a western australia showmen. he gets F+ for originality
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

I know he took the joint across to Perth last year, did that W.A Showmen have their's on the show aswell? Who is it btw
CoinKing

Post by CoinKing »

Top Gunner14 wrote:I know he took the joint across to Perth last year, did that W.A Showmen have their's on the show aswell? Who is it btw

2008 was the first time i saw the deal or no deal game on the grounds.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

PNC great summary of EKKA photos - thanks for those

A+ for presentation of new wheel and lights. It's had a good going-over. How many trailers does it travel on?
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

I know David Taylors wheel which came to New Zealand a few years ago traveled on two trailers, I believe its a identical ride.