The Diamond Python roller coaster.

Merimbula's Magic Mountain, New South Wales, Australia
benclare

The Diamond Python roller coaster.

Post by benclare »

As most of you regulars know, I have an interest in the history of rides, especially where they get moved to over the years. This time, I'm wondering about the Diamond Python coaster at Magic Mountain. I haven't visited the park for years and that ride wasn't there the last time I was there. Where did this ride come from? I'm thinking it maybe an ex carnival coaster, which used to travel to the Sydney Easter Show every year. That particular ride was called the Python Loop, and it packed a mean punch for a travelling coaster, speeding through a single, thrilling loop. It was ausome! The last time I saw it at the show was way back in 1993. Is it now located at Magic Mountain?
Mattie
Super Administrator

Diamond Python

Post by Mattie »

The one at Merimbula's is not the same as the Python Loop.

The Diamon Python is the exact same layout as Thrillseeker which was at Seaworld. However it had additional breaks thoughout the ride slowing you down. Ones which would make you smash your knees into the front of the carriage when slowed down.

I have some photos which will be on the new site when it is launched.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Ben,

I was up in Merrimbula in about 1993 or 4 with my family... and the Diamond Python had been advertised as a new upcoming attraction. I very clearly remember seeing a poster of it in a local shop, and it stated that it was / is being manufactured in Italy, at a cost of more than $720,000.

I remember when I went to Merrimbula, they had already laid the concrete base of the coaster (which was a figure 8 shape) But I've never seen this in person.

I wasn't that impressed with Magic Mountain though maybe my expectations were a little too high.

I can remember that underground waterslide "black hole" now THAT was scary the first time I tried it. Very disorientating and clausterophobic.
Last edited by Zamperla on Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

PS. Ben I don't suppose you rode the Python Loop at Moomba in Melbourne? I was actually working on a stall that year at Moomba, and rode it a few times.
Last edited by Zamperla on Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benclare

Post by benclare »

Thanks loads for the info guys! I reckone it's extremely disappointing that Magic Mountain would spend so much on a Galaxy coaster, especially since there are so many of them around. I also wasn't over impressed with Magic Mountain, mainly because I'm not a real waterslide fan, except for WetnWild which is something special.

Anyway, thanks again guys. I knew I'd get an answer from someone. I've learnt lots from this site and this forem.
rpry

Post by rpry »

Darn odd looking Galaxi if you ask me.

The ride is not a Galaxi. It is a Pinfari Zyklon, Z40. The differences are pretty obvious. This ride has only one diagonal drop, a Galaxi has two, the second diving under the first. The second drop on the Z40 is much smaller, and goes straight along the back of the ride. There is a 900º helix followed by a 540º helix on the Galaxy. The Z40 only has a 540º followed by a 180º helix. The Galaxy has only two drops. Z40 has three, the finale is a dip into the brake run.

The ride has several sets of brakes. The only set that is actually used for trimming in the course is one final one before the last dip. The only brakes on the entire ride which is on too hard is the final set which stops you. They do generally let you know before you depart the station to prepare for the final brake by holding on.
Paulie123

Re: The Diamond Python roller coaster.

Post by Paulie123 »

hey. where is this themepark? i live in sydney and i know of is lunapark sydney and jamberoo. i use to love wonderland. shame it shut down. but wheres this magic mountain? your not talking about six flags are you?
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

www.magicmountain.net.au

About 2 hours drive south of Batemans Bay in Merimbula (Heart of the Sapphire Coast)