How good are Dagwood Dogs!!!??

Public Forum
Force10

How good are Dagwood Dogs!!!??

Post by Force10 »

They are the second best thing at the show... the rides being first of course! I absolutely love them!
And how awesome are the jingles that play repetitively from them... "Hey hey.. how bout a showtime favourite... Hot american donuts, they've been making baking cooking all the while" Must drive the showies nuts. The sad thing is as a kid I memorized the entire script for a wittinglsow van (one of the only few attractions apart from the fun factory they took up the north run). I was a weird one thats for sure...

Anyway you have to be selective about where and when you buy them...

Here are my tips for getting the best Daggy of your life!

1. Walk around the grounds and inspect the food vans. (For all of you that only get to Royal Shows... stay away from any permanent food outlets you need to be in the depths of side show alley for the real experience). And find this van, operated by Pink's...

2. If you can't find this van, Find a van that's in a high traffic area. And look in the cabinet for daggy's that have a yellowish colour to the batter (there is something in this batter that makes them taste so delicious!) You can't go wrong with a Golden Way dagwood either.

3. Never buy a one when you just happen to be walking past on impulse...i've done this a few times and have been disappointed! And never get one after 7.30/8pm or after the fireworks, these have been sitting there for a while and are generally the last cook-up for the night.

yep i am a freak!.. about dagwoods!
:lol:

what do you guys reckon? share your good/bad experiences
Last edited by Force10 on Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Force10

Post by Force10 »

PS. If anyone knows where i could get a copy/CD of a real food van jingle script let me know.

Could make a good ringtone, or just to mix things up at party's :lol: (my friends would actually not be shocked, they nearly almost expect it from me). I was the only person that could get everyone pumped up for our local show each year.

I am highly aware of my lamo-ness!
ilovethefunfactory

Post by ilovethefunfactory »

dagwood dogs are tops if i could i would have them day and nite love them thats prob y i have put on a little biut of weight.. i think i should give up on the dogs :(
cheers
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

They are absolutely feral.... I couldn't think of anything worse to eat at the show, I think if i did have one, and then went on rides, it would come back up even before stepping on anything. Hot chips or Nando's chips is what I usually go for, something not to heavy, so i can digest and get back to riding.
princess

Post by princess »

That would be colouring Force 10 that gives that nice yellow colour lol, I have not eaten one since, as I have mentioned before, I made my last one a very long time ago, I wonder if they still manually put the sticks in. I honestly dont think I will ever have another one again in my life.

My biggest downfall was the jam filled donuts at Adelaide show, I put on 8 Kilos over the length of the show, having them everyday, they were the best I have ever tasted, again not one has passed my lips for many many years.

Now for food I would go to the Woolworths pavillion and buy yogurt, or go to a restaurant on the grounds, :lol: :lol:, how times have changed.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Yes, I love the Woolies Dome at the RES. I love getting the freebies and if you go during the last few days of the show, they start selling the fruit and vegies from the rural displays and the food off them is awesome.

Dagwood Dogs... I haven't had one in ages, not a fan but I can eat them. I'm with you Huss, love those hot chips especially with the tomato sauce and Chicken Salt. I was at Castle hill and I've gotten to know a bloke who sells the Profetjes(mini pancakes and his site was right across from one of these food vans. He absolutely hated it. He was so eager to get a sling shot and shot the speakers Lol :P

I had a Krispy Kreme at Sydney Royal this year and I felt terrible after it, lucky I didn't jump on a ride. I used to be able to eat them fine when they first came to the country but now I can't eat them without having gas being mixed up in my belly...eewww
Force10

Post by Force10 »

huss, they are not. it's obvious you've had a terrible experience with one... give my advice ago.
As for hot chips, they are something to be avoided from these food vans, cus they 'sit ready to go' and become all soggy. I agree with you on nando's chips though, I used to work there. Cotton seed oil, thats why they taste so good!.

Anyway, you have to time your dagwoods with when you plan not to be on rides... give them time to digest. (thats why i also suggest not to buy them on impluse!)I had 3 dagwoods in one day at last years ekka... and did not lose any of them! It's all bout planning and timing! but then again im lucky enough not to get motion sickness.

yeh they still manually put them on, yeh im sure it has something to do with colouring princess, but there is definetly something else in these ones! (don't get this yellow colouring confused with those awful pre-made frozen keppel dogs or pluto pups that you seem to get at carvery's and fisho's)
princess

Post by princess »

I know this is about dagwood dogs, but cant help getting side tracked when we are talking food, also love the dutch waffles and corn on the cob with chicken salt, also lemonade from the vendors sprinkled around the place at all capitals, sorry now I REALLY want to go to Ekka. :shock: :wink:
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Princess, fly up on Jetstar on the Friday and go back on the Sunday... I can take you on the motocoaster on the weekend then ;)
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Definately with you on that one Princess, I love the fresh lemonade and a nice corn on the cob. You see both these vendors everywhere around the grounds at Hawkesbury show.
princess

Post by princess »

Hurri if I end up having to come back up to Brissy, I will definitely let you know. :lol:
benclare

Post by benclare »

Yep there's something about show food that is tantilising and sickening at the same time. The cheese on a stick that is sold at the RES is surprisingly nice although I dread to think what's actually in them and the occasional dagwood dog isn't too bad either. I always go for the lemonades as riding makes me very thirsty and I can't resist the Woolworths Fresh Food Dome, especially when Lindi Milan and Peter Howard are doing their cooking demos!

As for the jingles that constantly play around the food vans in the carnival, I couldn't imagine how annoying they must be for the people working there but I do enjoy listening in. Perhaps you could bring a tape player and record the jingles for your phone or use the phone itself for the recording?
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

I'm sure you'd be able to get the CD off someone
mmk

Post by mmk »

The $1 Coon Cheesies in the Woolworths Pavilion at RES were the highlight of working at the show!!!
tooheyzz

Post by tooheyzz »

I'm bit of a Dagwood Dog attic myself
after there show or out local festival has past i get cravings so i make my own usually with cheerios and packet batter you just add water to they're not bad but no quite as good and the real thing

doesn't cottonseed oil have transfats ???

I have a story about dagwoods a while back me and my friends where taking a break at our local festival we had gone out the back where the was some park seating any along comes a worker from one of the food vans carring a huge bag of unbattered dawoods (they had there sticks in) all of a sudden the bottom of the bag splits and about 15 to 20 dogs hit the dirt he then bends down and starts picking them up and putting them bag in the bag with the rest at this point he notices us watching him do this he looks at us and says don't worry I will wash them off .....MMMMMMMMMMM
princess

Post by princess »

Yessss, I am not surprised about that story tooheyzz, you also give yourself away as a queenslander when you say cheerios, lol :lol:.

Cottonseed oil is supposed to be the best fat to cook with, I did not think that it has transfats it in, lots of places are now cooking with cottonseed, because supposedly, it is much healthier.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

it sounds as healthy as a "diet Coke"
princess

Post by princess »

Everything is better than diet coke
Force10

Post by Force10 »

10 sec rule! thats why they taste so good toohezzy! :lol:
i have been told alot of storys like that... one year a friends friend, claimed they saw showies hosing the sav's off on the grass out the back of the van. most of them im sure are made up though. well i hope so, but i really don't mind they are still awesome in all there dirty-ness
princess

Post by princess »

They are not made up force10
benclare

Post by benclare »

Remind me never to eat another dagwood dog ever! :lol: I suppose if we knew what went on in restaurants, supermarkets etc, we wouldn't eat anything.
princess

Post by princess »

I suppose we cannot put everyone into that basket.
tooheyzz

Post by tooheyzz »

princess wrote: Cottonseed oil is supposed to be the best fat to cook with, I did not think that it has transfats it in, lots of places are now cooking with cottonseed, because supposedly, it is much healthier.
Your probably right princess I was confused
I remember now i heard that cottonseed oil is Genetically Modified Food because most cotton crops are GM
oldie but goodie

Post by oldie but goodie »

hi force 10 what year did witts take a food van up the north run or do you mean up north in your state also i might be wrong but i do not remember
them having a fun factory
oldie but goodie
oldie but goodie

Post by oldie but goodie »

hi you would not cook with cotton seed oil if you was the person trying to clean out the cooker
oldie but goodie